We are Dave Ramsey approved!!

Dave Ramsey ELP

I started following Dave Ramsey a number of years ago in passing as I would catch him on some radio stations around the state and always found his philosophies very simple and smart. They also reminded me a lot about my Grandpa, the guy that started this insurance agency 45 years ago, with the things he said regarding financial decisions and planning. Time went by and my wife I were getting tired of paycheck to paycheck living and decided to seek out a Financial Peace University class and really start tackling our finances and get ahead of the situation. While starting this process I started listening to Dave daily and started really hearing about his ELP (Endorsed Local Provider) program. I thought that it seemed like Universal Insurance was a great fit for this as I was already practicing what Dave preaches and I believed in everything he said with regards to property/casualty insurance. So I applied do be an ELP. I didn’t receive a response and they say that if a response is not received an ELP may already be in your area or you may not qualify for one reason or another. Well a year has went by and they called and we visited and they asked me questions on my business philosophy and what I knew about Dave and his teachings and generally just had a discussion about what this means and how it works. It was great and has lead to me being named the Western Nebraska ELP for property and casualty insurance. Here is a snippet of what that means to Dave.

Being an ELP isn’t easy; it’s hard work because ELPs are held to a higher standard of excellence. While ELPs do pay a fee to cover website maintenance and employment costs, Dave’s endorsement is not bought — it’s earned. We have over a 30 person team that interviews potential ELPs several times and provides support to make sure they provide the best advice just like Dave does. We also make sure that every ELP is someone you feel comfortable talking to and is a person you can trust.

On top of that, we evaluate the performance of all ELPs every month to make sure we recommend you to the best agent possible. Also, every person who uses an ELP has a chance to grade them based on their personal experience through surveys we provide.

We are very excited about this and you should be too. It means that you can trust us to have your personal and financial interest at heart. We are here to educate you about insurance, not sell you insurance. This is what we have always been about and this is just further proof of that commitment to you the customer.

So thanks to our current customers for your business and we welcome new customers to the fold because of this, glad you found us! We look forward to being an ELP for a long time to come.

Posted in Auto Insurance, General Insurance, Home Insurance | Comments Off on We are Dave Ramsey approved!!

Tornado Tips.

This was posted today on the Trusted Choice website and I wanted to share it with you. It is a great article on how to be properly prepared if a tornado were to hit. Here it is.

Tornado tips from Trusted Choice® Nebraska
April 14, 2012 By lkittell Leave a Comment

Tornado tips from Trusted Choice® Nebraska GETTING STARTED

A good way to begin your planning process is to gather as much information as you can.
There are numerous resources available to guide you through the process of getting your
household prepared to deal with a disaster. Trusted Choice® offers many
disaster-specific readiness and recovery tips for consumers including the following
suggestions to get started:

• Make a list of each of your insurance policy numbers and the insurance company name,
and keep the information in your wallet, purse, or on your mobile device. For example,
nearly all states use some form of a wallet-size auto ID card, which is required to be kept
on your person, or in the vehicle. It’s a good idea to do have similar information with you
on all your other insurance coverages.
• Make a record of your Trusted Choice® insurance agent’s web site address, and keep this information in
your wallet, purse or mobile device. After a widespread catastrophe, more and more
agencies post information about claims procedures on their web site. This is especially
important in cases where the agency itself has been affected, and has set up temporary
operations at another location. In addition, agency web sites will usually post emergency
insurance claim phone numbers, etc.
• Use social media to contact your Trusted Choice® insurance agent. Many agencies use some form of
social media, such as Facebook, Twitter, etc., and these information outlets can provide
vital, timely information about claims procedures and other necessary information for
• Find out how you and your neighbors would be informed about an imminent disaster.
• Ask if evacuation routes have been established.
• Contact your city’s or town’s planning and emergency assistance organizations. Ask
them for information about disaster planning.
• Contact your children’s school(s) or day care center to learn about the emergency plans
they have in place.
• If a family member is in an elder care facility, check to see what emergency procedures
they will follow.
• Take a First Aid/CPR class from the American Red Cross.
• If you have pets, have a contingency plan in place. Many emergency shelters won’t
accept them.

The I.I.I. offers the following suggestions to policyholders whose property has been damaged:

Be prepared to give your agent or insurance company representative a description of the damage. Your agent will report the loss to your insurance company or to a qualified adjuster who will contact you as soon as possible to arrange to inspect the damage. If you have to evacuate, make sure to give your agent a telephone number where you can be reached.

Take photos of the damaged areas. These will help you with the claims process and will assist the adjuster in the investigation.

If you do not already have one, prepare a detailed inventory of all damaged or destroyed personal property. The I.I.I. has free, online software that can help make this process quick and easy—it is available at KnowYourStuff.org. Be sure to make two copies, one for yourself and one for the adjuster. Your list should be as complete as possible, including a description of the items, dates of purchase or approximate age, cost at time of purchase and estimated replacement cost.

Collect canceled checks, invoices, receipts or other papers that will assist the adjuster in obtaining the value of the damaged or destroyed property.

Make whatever temporary repairs are needed to protect your home from further damage and from causing injury to you and others. Cover holes in the roof, walls, doors and windows with plastic or boards to prevent further destruction. Be careful not to risk your own safety in making the repairs—hire someone to make them if necessary. Do not make extensive permanent repairs until after the claims adjuster has been to your home and assessed the damage. Save receipts for any supplies and materials you purchase, and make copies of the bills for your records. Your insurance company will reimburse any reasonable expenses incurred in making temporary repairs.

Secure a detailed estimate for permanent repairs to your home from a reliable contractor and give it to the adjuster. The estimate should contain the proposed repairs, repair costs and replacement prices.

Serious losses will be given priority. All losses will be adjusted and claims paid as quickly as possible but hardship cases are usually handled first. If your home or business has been destroyed or seriously damaged, your agent will do everything possible to assure you are given priority.
The Institute for Business & Home Safety has information on what homeowners and business owners can do to protect their property against windstorms on their website, DisasterSafety.org.
Claims Filing Advice for Homeowners Affected by Hurricanes, Wildfires and Other Disasters. (2010, September, 7). [Press Release] Retrieved from http://www.iii.org/press_releases/claims-filing-advice-for-homeowners-affected-by-hurricanes-wildfires-and-other-disasters.html

Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Off on Tornado Tips.

Choosing the Right Life Insurance Policy

Since this is still Life Insurance Awareness month I saw this article and thought we should share it with you. We at Universal Insurance, believe in life insurance and will help you find the right one to fit your need.

With more than 2,000 companies offering life insurance, there is stiff competition for your business and a wide array of policy choices, too. So how do you navigate all these choices? You’ll want to read on to learn how to select the right life insurance policy:

Term vs. Permanent
Knowing which policy to select will depend heavily on your family’s needs. And selecting the right life insurance policy also requires you to know the difference between a term and a whole life policy, and the difference between a cash-value policy and an annuity. Once you have a firm grasp on these you’ll be in a better position to know which policy you should purchase.

Term insurance
This type of policy comes in two basic varieties: “level term” and “decreasing term.” The words “level” and “decreasing” refer to the death benefit amount during the term of the policy. A level-term policy, the most popular type, pays the same benefit amount if death occurs at any point during the term, while “decreasing” means the payout will do just that over the policy’s term. Common types of level term policies are:

● Yearly renewable term
● 5-year renewable term
● 10-year term
● 15-year term
● 20-year term
● 25-year term
● 30-year term
● Term to a specified age (usually 65)

The most common type is the 20-year term policy. Be aware that most companies will not sell term insurance for a term that ends past an individual’s 80th birthday.

Generally, the premium for a term policy will be based on your age and health at the policy’s inception and the premium will remain the same throughout the length of the term. For instance, premiums for a five-year renewable term will be level for five years, then change to a new rate reflecting your new age and health at the time of the policy’s renewal. Some longer term policies will guarantee that your premium will not increase during the term; others don’t make this guarantee, which means the insurance company could raise your rate during the policy’s term.

Some term policies are convertible, meaning that you can change it into a permanent life insurance policy without having to prove your insurability. Be sure to ask your agent about this feature, especially if you anticipate significant life changes in the future, such as getting married and having children.

Permanent Life Insurance
Permanent life, sometimes called whole life insurance, pays a death benefit to your beneficiaries following your death—there is no age limit. There are three major types of permanent life insurance: traditional whole life, universal life and variable universal life, and there are variations within each type. Here’s a brief look at each:

● Whole or ordinary life. This is the most common type of permanent policy. It offers a death benefit and a savings account. With this type of life insurance policy you will pay a set amount in premiums on a regular basis for a specific death benefit (i.e., $300,000). The policy’s savings vehicle will grow based on dividends the company pays to you.

● Universal or adjustable life. This policy provides more flexibility than whole life insurance. You may be able to increase the death benefit if you pass a medical examination. The savings vehicle, called a cash-value account, generally earns a money market rate of interest. After money has accumulated in your account, you will also have the option of altering your premium payments—if there is enough money in your account to cover the costs.

● Variable life. This policy combines a death benefit with a savings account that you can invest in stocks, bonds and money market mutual funds. The value of your policy will likely grow more quickly, but you’ll also have more risk. Some policies guarantee that your death benefit will not fall below a minimum level.

● Variable-universal life. With this type of policy you get the features of variable and universal life policies. You have the investment risks and rewards characteristic of variable life insurance, coupled with the ability to adjust your premiums and death benefit that is characteristic of universal life insurance.

As a basic rule, if you want an investment tool with your life insurance, a permanent policy is the choice for you. If you desire only the death benefit, a term policy is the route to take.

Get These Features
As you conduct your search here are three key features that you should ensure are in your policy:

● Guaranteed renewable. Your premium may change but you will not have to provide evidence of insurability to keep the coverage.

● Periodic updates. This option allows you to increase benefit levels periodically during the life of the policy.

● Cash out. If you need money for an emergency this option enables you to liquidate the policy without losing all you’ve deposited in premiums.

Keep your coverage current.
Once you’ve secured a life insurance policy, you should update its benefit levels and beneficiaries as changes occur in your life. Many life-changing events—such as getting married, having a child or buying a big house—will increase the amount of coverage you need. Conversely, other events—such as children moving out and becoming financially independent—may decrease the coverage you need.

Live right.
Most people understand that their lifestyle may affect their life insurance premium, but many people do not realize just how much. For example, rates for tobacco users are often more than double than those for non-tobacco users. Similarly, genetic illnesses, such as diabetes, may affect your premium.

The first step in increasing your insurability and saving money on your life insurance premium is to improve your health. Be diligent in maintaining your health through routine check-ups with your doctor. Exercise regularly and eat healthy. If you take medication for a condition, such as diabetes or high blood pressure, keep track of your progress and share it with your insurance company, if necessary. These efforts will not only improve your lifestyle, they may also help you save money on your premium.

Now is the Time
Because the life insurance marketplace is so competitive there has been a steady decline in premium rates over the past 10 years. So if you are in good health, it should be relatively easy for you to get life insurance at a reasonable premium.

Get Expert Assistance
If life insurance sounds overwhelming, a Trusted Choice® insurance professional can help you review your life insurance needs and find the best policy type for your family.

Posted in Life Insurance | Comments Off on Choosing the Right Life Insurance Policy

Prepare a Home Inventory

If you were the victim of a disaster and suddenly found yourself with nothing left, would you remember everything you lost? When is the last time you counted the number of CDs you own or took stock of the current value of your TV and video equipment, not to mention your clothing, jewelry and other personal belongings? Too often, we forget about personal valuables that are stored in closets or drawers. An inventory will help you remember what you have so you can accurately document your losses to your insurance company. For example, your insurance company will be less likely to dispute the value of your antique teapot collection if you have photographs, sales
receipts and other documentation to prove it.

• Make a detailed written or videotaped inventory of your property and house-hold possessions. Take a video camera and go through every room, taping and describing what you see. For valuable items, note when and where you purchased them and how much you paid for them. Include the serial numbers of major appliances.

• Don’t forget to inventory the garage, attic, basement and the exterior of your house, including landscaping and fencing.

• Update the inventory yearly.

• Keep your inventory, insurance policies and other important documents in a safedeposit box and keep a duplicate set in a fire- and water-proof container at home. Include important documents such as wills, deeds, titles, stocks, bonds, certificates of deposit, passports, bank account numbers, credit card numbers, income tax returns, birth certificates and so on.


• Keep your home in tip-top shape to protect it against the damage of heavy winds or rain. Make sure your roof, windows and doors are not in need of major repair.

• Position cribs/beds away from windows or tall furniture that could slide or topple.

• If you live in a hurricane-prone area, purchase sheets of plywood to cover your home’s windows and store them in your garage or shed. If you wait until a storm is imminent, your local hardware store may be sold out.

• Bolt bookcases and other tall pieces of furniture to the wall.

• Power generators are often used during power outages. If you own one, make sure it is well maintained and that all family members know how to operate it properly.

• If you live in a mobile home, make sure it is securely anchored down.

• If you own a boat, make sure it is securely moored.

• If there is a fire hydrant near your home, make sure it is clear of debris and can easily be located by the fire department.

• Remove low branches and dead trees from around your house.

• Clear debris from the chimney, gutters and vents.

Courtesy of Trusted Choice

Posted in Home Insurance | Comments Off on Prepare a Home Inventory

September is Life Insurance Awareness Month

September is Life Insurance Awareness Month and, as this is our first September offering life insurance, I thought it would be a great idea to let you know about how life insurance can help you round out your financial future.

We will be offering videos and links on our Facebook and Twitter account educating you on all things life insurance. We hope it will be fun and entertaining and most of all educational. We encourage you to come in and talk with Jack about your life insurance needs.

I was always a skeptic of life insurance.  I don’t like fear tactics that are used to sell insurance and never well. So please understand I could show numerous amounts of very sad and somber images that will make you realize how important protecting your families future is. That is not how we choose to do it. That being said, the conversation about life insurance lends itself to those images without much effort and is a conversation that needs to occur.

Here is a short video on life insurance and the excuses we make for not doing it.

We look forward to seeing you to discuss your life insurance options, stop in or give us a call.

Posted in Life Insurance | Comments Off on September is Life Insurance Awareness Month

We would like to welcome Jack Lindstrom to our agency

We have some big news to announce! We would like to welcome Jack Lindstrom to our agency.

Jack has nearly 7 years experience in insurance and a lifetime experience in agriculture. He brings with him a tremendous knowledge of what the ag producer needs to protect their business and their family. He also has experience helping varying types of business owners insure their business so they can worry about running their own business.

Along with that great experience and knowledge Jack also brings to us health insurance and life insurance. We now will offer Blue Cross/Blue Shield individual and group health insurance as well as several different life insurance options from companies like Genworth, Prudential and MetLife, to name a few.

Jack will be a tremendous asset to our company and our community. His wife Julie will be a physician at Central Nebraska Medical Clinic and they have two wonderful daughters in school as well.

Come on in or give us a call and let us be your full service insurance agency. With several of the top ag insurers in the state in Farmers Mutual, Nationwide and North Star and many commercial and personal companies there is rarely a need we can’t serve.

Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Off on We would like to welcome Jack Lindstrom to our agency

Significant Other, Significant Issue?

Oh how the times have changed. In 1950, eight in 10 households were occupied by married couples. According to the 2000 U.S. Census, that number declined to 51.7%; the balance being singles and couples living together who are not married. The former includes individuals who either live alone or with roommates; the latter encompasses both opposite and same-sex couples who consider themselves partners. It is the latter segment which now makes up approximately 10% of American households.

A benefit to marriage that is often overlooked (perhaps because of its dismal ranking on the romantic scale) is insurance. Married couples experience advantages that are not available to others living together. If you are not married and living with a significant other (SO), there are some important things you should understand about your home insurance.

Standard home insurance is designed to cover damage to personal property like furniture, electronics and clothing that is owned by residents of the home who are related to the person named on the actual home insurance policy (i.e., you). The term “related” is where your SO’s problems begin.

Certainly the cost to replace that stolen television or incinerated clothing is essential. But home insurance has another important role: personal liability coverage. Personal liability is insurance that will cover expenses for which you are liable, like when a guest slips and falls on that lose step or your amateur attempt at controlled brush-burning sets your neighbor’s home ablaze.

Following are some important limitations found in a standard home insurance policy that you and your SO should know:

First, there is no personal liability insurance offered to individuals residing in the home who are not related to the person whose name is on the home insurance policy. For example, did your boyfriend move his dog in? Does your girlfriend’s son host football games in the yard? Examples like these (dogs can bite and children will hurt themselves) serve as a reminder of the unpredictable nature and expenses of a liability claim. The good news is that your personal liability is covered by your home insurance. The bad news is your SO isn’t—a potentially devastating expense that he will have to pay for personally unless he has his own insurance (discussed below).

Second, personal property of a non-relative is not covered by your home insurance. This means no coverage for claims like when your SO’s laptop is stolen from home or school or if that plaid recliner he can’t live without is burned in a fire.

Not all hope is lost. In some cases it is possible to modify a standard home insurance policy to cover losses to your SO’s personal property. However, this won’t fix everything. The best solution is for your partner to purchase a home insurance policy (often called “renter’s insurance”) that will offer your SO protection for expensive property losses and/or a significant liability expense.  Your Trusted Choice® insurance professional Nate Bell at Universal Insurance can recommend some solutions.

Posted in General Insurance, Home Insurance | Comments Off on Significant Other, Significant Issue?

What is covered by my car insurance?

What’s covered by my car insurance?

If you aren’t sure what’s covered by your car insurance, you’re not alone. In this article, you’ll find some of the most frequently asked questions of Progressive Insurance —and their answers—so that you can be confident when making decisions about your car insurance.

How can I make sure I have “full coverage”?

Generally, people ask for “full coverage” when they want more than just what’s required by the state. Most states require that all drivers carry Liability coverage, which pays for damage to other vehicles or injuries to other people that you cause.

By adding what is commonly referred to as “physical damage” coverages, which include Comprehensive and Collision insurance, damage to your own vehicle is also covered, regardless of who caused the crash.

Once you’ve chosen these coverages, you might also want to add insurance that will cover your medical payments, protect you if you’re hit by an uninsured driver, or come to the rescue if you break down on the side of the road. Your local independent insurance agent can walk you through all of your options and help you choose the policy that’s right for you.

If I get into a fender bender when driving a rental car, would it be covered under my car insurance?

Generally, if you have liability and physical damage coverages on your car insurance policy, there’s a good chance you’ll be covered in a rental car. Call your independent agent to get the facts before you turn down that extra coverage.

Another option: check with your credit card company. Some credit cards provide coverage at no charge if you use their card to pay for the rental. Restrictions may apply, so be sure to ask for an exact description of what’s covered.

A friend just borrowed my car. Will my car insurance pay for the damages if he or she causes an accident?

In most states, insurance coverage follows the car, so your car insurance would pay for the damage if your friend causes a wreck. Two things to keep in mind: if the cost to repair that damage exceeds the amount allowed by your policy, your friend may need to make a claim on his or her car insurance policy to pay the difference. And, your rate may go up as a result of the claim.

For more information, talk to your local independent agent.

From Progressive

Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Off on What is covered by my car insurance?

Why you need an Umbrella policy.

Most Americans view auto insurance as necessary to protect against the costs of a car accident.  Likewise, it’s common knowledge that homeowners insurance helps families rebuild their lives and homes. An “umbrella” policy is not as well known, but anyone who owns a home or any assets should consider buying it.

Umbrella liability insurance covers you in many situations if you are held responsible for bodily injury, property damage, or personal injury. The product got its name because it adds a higher level of protection above auto, homeowners and boat policies, which are “primary” policies.  Umbrella coverage kicks in after primary insurance is exhausted. What’s more, an umbrella policy offers primary coverage for losses not covered by other insurance.

Typically, insurance agents sell an umbrella policy in conjunction with auto and homeowners coverage. You can usually add $1 million-plus of liability insurance for a few hundred dollars per year, and a multiple-policy discounts often can be had. One tactic insurance pros suggest: raise deductibles on auto and homeowners policies, and use the premium savings to pay for umbrella coverage.

What does primary insurance pay for? Liability insurance under auto and homeowners policies pays expenses (for example, an injured person’s medical care, rehabilitation and lost wages) because the policyholder was at fault through negligent actions. Liability coverage also pays for costs of defending against a claim or lawsuit.

It’s common for a driver, vehicle owner, homeowner, or boat operator/owner to be held responsible for someone else’s injuries, property damage, lost wage and/or expenses. An at-fault driver also can be held liable for personal injury (which is distinct from bodily injury), including psychological injury such as “pain and suffering.”

What does umbrella coverage do? The umbrella is a shield to protect an individual from having to tap into savings or sell assets to pay a judgment or claim. The umbrella policy keeps the hands of the claimant from the personal, family and business assets of the negligent person.  Intoxicated drivers leaving a party at your home, dog bites, and the neighbor kid falling off the trampoline– these incidents can cause financial losses. Even lending a friend a ski house or lake house for the weekend can create a claim. A tree in your yard that blows over in a storm and crushes the neighbor’s car is another example. A home-based business that requires visitors to come to your house may create a loss that’s excluded from homeowners coverage.   But all these incidents may cause bodily injury, personal injury and loss of wages. These losses might exceed (or be excluded from) primary insurance limits and coverages.

Who should consider an umbrella policy? Most homeowners should consider an umbrella, but especially those active in community affairs. Serving in civic, charitable, and religious organizations can lead to conflicts, claims, and even lawsuits. Even if a lawsuit is thrown out of court, you still must defend yourself. Umbrella liability coverage picks up these costs, whether or not a person is actually found to be liable. Defense costs generally are covered in addition to the liability limits of the umbrella policy.

Conversely, a person might face a damaging situation such as a false arrest or imprisonment, defamation, invasion of privacy, wrongful entry, eviction or malicious prosecution. Most will want to defend themselves, but will face legal and other costs to do so. Homeowners coverage won’t cover it; umbrella coverage can.

A Trusted Choice® agent can review your family’s coverage to ensure you are protected. Click here to find a Trusted Choice® agency in your community.

Posted in Auto Insurance, Commercial Insurance, Farm and Ranch Insurance, General Insurance, Home Insurance | Comments Off on Why you need an Umbrella policy.

Are you covered from floods??

Two Types of “Water Damage”

A standard home insurance policy will cover losses caused by water that accumulates in the home resulting from the accidental discharge of a system of appliance, such as a broken hose or valve. That same policy will not cover losses caused by water that accumulates as a result of the overflow of a body of water or runoff of surface water.

Common Causes of Flood

Floods often result from torrential rainstorms and hurricanes. Floods also commonly result from snow melt. Floods also result as a side effect of development- such as road construction or a new housing community- that alter storm water drainage patterns.

Who is at Risk?

Flood insurance is not just for people living or working on the coast. According to the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), 31 percent of the properties damaged by floods are located outside of a special flood hazard area as designated by FEMA. The NFIP reports that floods happen in all 50 states and that floods are the second most common cause of property damage behind fire.

Property owners are often mislead into believing that flood insurance is only available for properties that are located in a special flood hazard area or “flood zone.” Unfortunately, this myth has caused many property owners to suffer from uninsured flood losses that could have been easily covered. The only requirement is that the property is located in a “participating community.” This could be a township, municipality, city or county that has agreed to participate in the NFIP.

Preferred Risk Policy (PRP)

The NFIP offers the PRP for homes and businesses that are not located in a special flood hazard area and do not have a history of flood claims. The PRP allows eligible buyers the opportunity to purchase flood insurance at a pre-determined rate. PRP rates are intended to remind property owners that regardless of where the property is located the aforementioned data is proof that it’s still a good idea to purchase flood insurance.

A Few Unique Features of Flood Insurance

It is important to remember that a flood insurance policy is a separate policy from your home, condo, or business insurance. This means that flood insurance is subject to its own terms and conditions.

Following are a few of the unique features:

Waiting Period

There is a 30-day waiting period from the date you first purchase flood insurance to the date that policy takes effect. This is designed to prevent the purchase of coverage for losses in progress. The 30-day waiting period also applies to changes made to an in-force flood policy. For example, if you currently carry $200,000 in coverage for your home and decide to raise that amount to $250,000, you must wait 30 days before the change will take effect.

The waiting period does not apply to a renewal policy. There are two exceptions to the 30-day waiting period: the first is if the policy is required in conjunction with the closing of a loan. The second is for property owners that previously were not required to purchase flood insurance but are now being told they must as a result of a new map from FEMA indicating that property is now located in a special flood hazard area.

Two Deductibles?

Let’s say a flood causes $50,000 in damage to your home and $10,000 to contents. Your policy includes a $1,000 deductible. That deductible will apply once towards the recovery of your home and once towards the recovery of your contents. This means it’s possible you will pay the deductible twice for the same loss: once for the dwelling and once again for contents.

Note that lenders who require owners to purchase flood insurance typically only require insurance on the dwelling or building and do not require flood insurance on contents. Owners should carefully consider the cost to repair or replace contents before choosing to forgo insuring them.

Other Structures

An important feature of your home insurance is the inclusion of coverage for certain types of other structures such as a detached garage or pool house. The only other structure that the flood insurance policy will extend coverage to is a detached garage. Other structures may be eligible for coverage under a separate flood policy.

No Additional Living Expenses

An important feature of your home insurance is the ability to collect money from the insurance company to pay living expenses while your home undergoes repair. These expenses may include hotel, food and other expenses. Unfortunately, the flood insurance policy offers no coverage for additional living expenses- such costs must be paid out-of-pocket.

These examples are intended to illustrate some of the important differences in flood insurance and your typical home, condo or business policy. There are several other factors that differentiate a flood insurance policy from the type of insurance you may already have. This is why a conversation with your Trusted Choice® insurance professional is the important first step in learning how to protect your biggest asset from flood damage. Call today!

Source: National Flood Insurance Program, www.floodsmart.gov

Posted in Commercial Insurance, Home Insurance | Comments Off on Are you covered from floods??